Monday, September 18, 2006

Gotta love Spruce Creek

I must absolutely be one of the luckiest men in America. We just completed our second trip of the year over to Spruce Creek and what a night it was.
We began by helping Doc with some stream clean up as we do every year. We cleared the dams and other stream improvement devices of debris, which is the only time that anyone is ever allowed to wade in this pristine section of stream. Then we headed back to the house and suited up. The sun was still high and the trout were inactive so we started out slinging streamers. We couldn't get any to move.
Doc has many spawning beds and the browns are just beginning to spawn. So Doc had one of the other guys try an egg pattern. Success! He got one to bite...a small 12" brown, but it was a start. We moved out of that section to let it rest a little.
We moved down stream to another productive section. I tied on a medium sized roe colored egg with a single BB split shot. Within about 5 minutes I had my first trout of the night...a decent 18" brown. From there it was a flurry of activity. We pulled in trout after trout ranging anywhere from 12" to 22". I lost count after 10.
After about an hour of this we moved further downstream and decided to try some dries. None of us could get a rise but Doc did. He's just an incredible fly fisherman. He cuts his hooks off half way through the bend so he can feel the thrill of the take and then this allows the trout to get free without harming them. They're his babies and he definitely takes good care of them.
Some people have even asked me if these Spruce Creek stories are actually true or if I embellish some. Well, I can tell you for a fact that every word I write about Spruce Creek is true. It's a little piece of heaven on earth. To prove it, simply pick up last month's copy of Fish &Fly magazine. There is a huge article in there written about Spruce Creek and a good portion of it is focused on Doc's property. It features George Harvey and Joe Humphreys who are both very good friends of Doc's and who we have met at Doc's in past years.
I count my blessings and thank God before, during and after each trip to Spruce Creek because I realize how fortunate I am to be able to experience this. Thanks Doc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home