Monday, January 30, 2006

More Erie Steelheading

First of all, let me apologize for neglecting my blog. I've been spending time on another website and this blog has suffered because of it. But let's see if I can turn that around.
This next update deals with another fishing trip to Erie. Back on November 14, 2005, I took my father-in-law and we headed to Erie for some steelhead fishing. I knew it would be tough because the rains had been few and all reports at www.fisherie.com indicated that the streams were low and the fishing was quite challenging. But the weather reports indicated it was going to be around 60 so I couldn't resist. Crowds were sparse and just as expected, the fishing was less than stellar, but driving 3 hours to get there, we were going to make a day of it. We fished Elk Creek the entire day. I used all the "bubble gum" patterns (meaning all the colorful patterns known in steelheading). I did end up hooking a nice one on a glo bug but lost it within about 20 seconds. I switched to the natural patterns and that was the ticket. I hooked and landed a 5 lber on a BH Hares Ear nymph and landed another 6 lber on a BH Black Woolly Bugger. I also hooked about 5 others but was not able to bring them in as I was testing some strategies that just didn't work.
My father-in-law wasn't quite so fortunate. He had no hookups at the first location but on our way out of town, we stopped at another spot and he did finally hook and land a small steelie. So not all was lost and all in all it was just a beautiful day in a beautiful setting.
God certainly has blessed us with some awesome fishing opportunities here in Pennsylvania.

Tight Lines,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home