Monday, January 30, 2006

Make your own fly tying bench and save money

Last weekend I took on a new project. A few weeks ago I enrolled in an advanced fly tying class. The first class I showed up with little more than my vise and a few tools. Every other person in the class had their portable fly tying benches equipped with magnifying glasses/lamps and a myriad of tools and materials. A lesser man would've run out of there intimidated but not me and I'm glad I didn't. Those guys made me feel so welcome. They shared their knowledge, they shared their personal experiences and they shared their skills with me. One thing they said that really hit home...not all the tools in the world can make you a great fly tyer. That has to come from within. But I also saw how convenient those fly tying benches made everything. So, I set out to build one for myself. The reasoning behind my decision to build instead of buy was simple...cost. The benches I saw in magazines and online that I liked started at around $150. I didn't want to pay that so I took pictures of some different ones and designed my own and I'm just tickled with the way it turned out. I went to Lowes and picked up the wood (all oak) all in pre-cut widths so that all I had to do was cut it to length and sand it down. Personally I think it looks better than any bench I had found and the cost was under $50 for everything. If you want further details, please visit the web page where I give the contact information. Here's what it looks like. You can do this to. I know you can.


Tight Lines,

Steve

2 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Gary Geronimo said...

Hi Steve,

I saw your blog Hooked On Flies "Make your own fly tying bench and save money". That's is one awesome bench!

If you don't mind, could you please send me more details on how you made it such as dimensions, tools, pictures in different angles? My email address is gary.geronimo(delete)@(delete)gmail.com (please remove the "(delete)" part. I just don't want bots harvesting my email address so I put it in).

I am going to build one too and hope to get ideas from as many people as I could. Your fly tying bench is my favorite. I hope I can come up with something at least half decent.

Thanks,
Gary Geronimo

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger cohoking said...

love the bench.gonna make one myself.tanx brooktrout5659@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home